Warwick overcome Melton to go through campaign unbeaten

Having already secured the title, Warwick achieved their final objective last Saturday with victory over Melton ensuring they went through the season unbeaten.

Friday, 25th March 2016, 12:09 pm
Izzy Hurst is inches away from converting a chance for Warwicks Ladies 1sts at home to Beeston. Picture: Morris Troughton

Warwick started the game confidently and tireless work up front from Martyn Stickley, Oliver Hobbs and Steve Gibson enabled the visitors to take a quickfire 2-0 lead courtesy of Dave Bryce and Alistair Smythe.

Blue McWhirter added a fine solo effort in his final game for the club before leaving for university to put Warwick 3-0 up at the break.

Warwick squandered several chances after the restart before two defensive errors allowed Melton to bring it back to 3-2.

The visitors re-established their grip on the game with goals from top-scorer Stickley and Gibson before Bryce doubled his tally after an assist from Seb Fleet.

Melton scored a late consolation to make it 6-3 but it could not take the shine off a memorable season for the Warwick side.

Warwick Men’s 3rds rounded off their campaign with a 5-3 defeat at Barford Tigers.

James Sear pounced on a blocked shot to put Warwick ahead but the visitors were to find themselves 3-1 down after Barford converted two short corners and scored a goal from open play.

A neat piece of skill from Andrew Dellow set up James Sear for his second to bring it back to 3-2 at the interval.

Warwick pressed for an equaliser after the restart and failed to convert seven short corners before a Chris Langley drag-flick brought them level.

However, as the visitors continued to push forward for a winner, they were caught on the break by Tigers, who went on to confirm their victory with a short-corner strike.

The men’s 4ths missed out on promotion from the West Midlands Premier on goal difference despite routing Barford Tigers 4ths 7-0 in their final outing, John Sawdon scoring a hat-trick.

Warwick Women’s 1sts finished a creditable mid-table in Midlands Division Two after overcoming visitors Beeston 4-2 in their final game.

Warwick opened the scoring through Martha Hayes after Sally Rankin’s short-corner strike had been saved but found themselves on the back foot for the much of the half.

A minute before the break, Beeston dragged themselves level with a deflected short-corner strike.

Warwick regained the lead after the break when Lucy McEvoy’s shot from the top of the D was diverted in off a Beeston player.

Warwick keeper Loz Rigby was kept busy as Beeston sought a way back but she was powerless to prevent them making it 2-2 with a second short-corner strike.

The home side moved in front again through Izzy Hurst and wasted several chances to make the game safe before McEvoy slotted into an open goal from a Hayes pass to secure the three points.