Kenilworth allow hosts Hereford to pull away in the final 15 minutes

Hereford bolstered their play-off aspirations with a bonus-point victory but it was only in the final 15 minutes that the game got away from the visitors, writes Greg Hickman.

Thursday, 17th March 2016, 12:14 pm
Updated Thursday, 17th March 2016, 12:17 pm
Joe Jepps brought Kenilworth back into the game with a second-half try.

Hereford attempted to run everything, even from inside their own 22, and it was ironic that their first try came straight through the centres with not a hand laid upon the home tryscorer.

The successful conversion made it 7-0 to Hereford in the 17th minute.

Ks were already down to 14 following a yellow card for hooker Harry Abell after interference at a quick tapped penalty before a deliberate knock-on from the Hereford eight saw the referee even up the numbers.

A good break by Bobby Thompson supported by flanker Will Blundell made yards and Josh Hickman then kicked to the corner for an attacking lineout. A subsequent penalty from Hickman saw Kenilworth’s efforts rewarded to reduce the deficit to four points with 35 minutes played.

Kenilworth lost their influential number seven Ollie Burman to a blood injury following one of his typical, fully committed tackles and Hereford took advantage of the visitors’ reorganisation, going through of a huge gap to score under the posts.

Poor tackling again let Kenilworth down soon after the restart as Hereford scored their third ‘soft’ try to make it 21-3.

Kenilworth responded well with Joe Jepps and Rhys Jones taking play into the home 22.

The ball was recycled to Hickman who sent in a clever crossfield kick for the unmarked Jepps who took the ball on the bounce to score Kenilworth’s first try.

Hickman’s conversion brought it back to 21-10.

The next 15 minutes saw both sides trying to exert the upper hand, with handling errors and penalties frustrating Ks’ attempts to close the gap.

A Hereford counter in the 64th minute proved the clincher, with the bonus-point try causing Kenilworth to lose some of their intensity, allowing Hereford to run in three further tries.