UPDATE: Woman dies after flat fire

editorial image

A woman who was found in flat fire this morning in Warwick has died.

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called to a flat fire on Humphris Street in Warwick at 8am.

They sent an ambulance and a paramedic area support officer to the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “On arrival, fire crews were searching the building.

“They rescued a woman from the property who was found to be in cardiac arrest.

“Ambulance staff immediately began CPR and administered advanced life support.

“This continued whilst the patient was transported to Warwick Hospital.

“Unfortunately, shortly after arrival at the hospital it became apparent that nothing could be done to save the woman and she was confirmed deceased.”

UPDATE: Fire crews believe the fire may have been caused by an overloaded plug socket.

A spokesperson for the Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “On arrival crews found the bedroom of a first floor flat well alight. On entering the property, firefighters found one female in the front room area of the property. At this point the flat was already heavily smoke logged. The woman was quickly rescued from the fire and handed into the care of the ambulance service.

Crews then tackled the blaze to stop it spreading to neighbouring properties using four hose reels and breathing apparatus. Sadly it has now been confirmed by West Midlands Ambulance Service that the lady rescued earlier by our crews was sadly confirmed deceased shortly after arriving at hospital.”

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Services Fire investigation Officer, Mark Allen said: “On arrival our crews carried out a full search of the property and found a woman in the front room. She was quickly rescued and handed into the care of the ambulance service. Although smoke alarms did activate, it is believed the alarm was raised by neighbouring properties who heard the smoke alarms bleeping.

“An initial investigation, into the fire suggests that the fire began in the bedroom and was started by an overloaded plug socket.

“Sadly, these types of fires can easily be avoided by taking simple measures such as not overloading plug sockets and keeping extension leads well away from flammable materials. That way, if the worse should happen, the fire is less likely to spread so quickly.

“Although on this occasion a working smoke alarm didn’t save the resident, it did raise the alarm with neighbouring properties that were able to call us out to rescue the resident and stop the fire from spreading.”

For more information on fire safety in the home or to apply for a free Home Fire Safety Check visit: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/firesafetycheck