Ks are forced to settle for a losing bonus point

Gareth Renowden resorts to desperate measures to halt the progress of the Bournville number eight. Picture submitted
Gareth Renowden resorts to desperate measures to halt the progress of the Bournville number eight. Picture submitted
  • Midlands One West (South)
  • Kenilworth 12 Bournville 15

A wet and windy Saturday made for a catalogue of mistakes and it was Bournville, newly demoted from the National League, who made the most of the tricky conditions, writes Dean Stephenson.

The game started well for the hosts with scrum-half Gareth Renowden collecting a dropped lineout ball 15 metres from the Bournville line and sliding in for a try inside the first six minutes.

The conversion was missed with the lack of a regular recognised kicker following Josh Hickman injury-enforced absence to again prove costly.

Bournville then started to use their large forwards to make significant yardage and, after Kenilworth were penalised for holding on in the tackle, their number ten Alex Warner converted his first penalty attempt to bring the score back to 5-3.

In an error-strewn first half, Warner produced a rare moment of quality, putting in a deft chip over the Ks defence for winger Warren Oliver to collect and score in the corner.

Warren made the difficult conversion to give the visitors a five-point advantage which they maintained to the interval after Kenilworth failed to take advantage of a kickable penalty.

The first 20 minutes of the second half belonged to Bournville, with Renowden, Mikkel Andresen, Ollie Burman and James Wadey all making important try-saving tackles.

Eventually the dam broke, with former Stourbridge number eight Drew Harper collecting the ball to score.

The conversion was missed, but it was still an uphill struggle for the home team, who despite trying to take the game to the opposition, sometimes took the wrong option in attempting to keep the ball moving in difficult conditions.

Luckily for the home side, the Bournville kicker also started to miss important kicks for goal, which could have effectively killed off the Kenilworth comeback.

With the game entering the final 15 minutes the sun came out for the first time and Kenilworth responded by really taking the game to the opposition.

Bournville replacement prop Paul Coles was yellow-carded for stamping on Ollie Burman and Kenilworth pinned their visitors back only to be denied by some wayward passing and dropped ball.

With five minutes left, Renowden took a quick penalty only to be stopped by the Bournville number nine who replaced Coles in the sin-bin.

The home side were now camped on the opposition five-metre line and after another couple of infringements the Bournville number two Ashley Knight also saw yellow.

With the opposition down to 13 men, the home side pounded the line only for Bournville to keep transgressing.

The referee had seen enough and awarded a penalty try which was converted by Alex Selby in the final play of the game.