Lichfield recover from two down to end Khalsa's title challenge

Khalsa's 13-game winning streak came to and end at Lichfield, in turn handing the Premier Division title to Nottingham University.

Friday, 17th March 2017, 12:06 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 11:13 am
Nav Hayer scored a hat-trick as Khalsa 2nds beat relegation rivals Rugby & East Warwickshire 4-1.

A depleted Khalsa set themselves up defensively and were thankful for keeper Elliot Rider for repelling a number of short corners from their hosts.

Khalsa capitalised on the counter when a piercing run from David Harris created space for Savhan Lall and Gurminder Ghattaura to link up and play the ball across for Harris to tap in at the back post.

The visitors doubled their lead soon after, again through Harris, after a sensational 40-yard pass from Ben Stephenson.

With limited numbers on the bench, Khalsa started to fade and Lichfield pulled a goal back from the penalty spot after the break following an illegal stop on the line.

With the wind in their sails, Lichfield pressed on for an equaliser and were rewarded courtesy of a well-worked penalty corner routine.

Lichfield threw numbers forward and, with time running out, pounced on a scrappy clearance from the Khalsa defence to score the match-winner.

Nav Hayer scored a hat-trick as Khalsa 2nds bolstered their Midlands Premier survival hopes with a 4-1 win over fellow strugglers Rugby & East Warwickshire.

Parvinder Singh was also on target for Khalsa, firing home a short corner.

Khalsa travelled to East Midlands Premier leaders Belper with the bare XI and predictably found themselves 5-0 down at the break.

Fine saves from Khalsa keeper Kiran Kular restricted Belper to three goals after the restart, with Khalsa getting on the scoreboard thanks to a short-corner strike from Kulwant Singh.

Three second-half goals condemned a youthful Khlasa 4ths to a 4-0 defeat against Old Halesonians.

Khalsa Leamington moved into the fourth round of the England Hockey Mixed Trophy with a 6-2 win at home to Burton.

The deadlock was broken though Scott Angliss who had carried on his run forward from centre-back following some quick interplay up the left channel between Amie Hone and Joe Colantonio.

Kerry Luckett pounced on a loose ball to score from close range before Lucy Miszkowska made it 3-0, rifling an unstoppable shot into the side netting.

Burton managed a lifeline shortly before the interval, with a reverse-stick shot taking a deflection off the attacker’s leg to deceive Elliot Rider

Ghattaura Guri faked a drag-flick and walked past the two runners before firing the ball into the bottom corner to restore Khalsa’s three-goal cushion and Josh Pennington made it 5-1 with his first goal for the club.

A rare lapse allowed Burton to pull one back but the home side had the final say, with a lightning break providing Miszkowska with her second of the afternoon.

Khalsa Leamington have been drawn against National League side Olton & West Warwickshire in the fourth round.