Kenilworth outgunned by fellow mid-table side Dudley Kingswinford

Kenilworth slipped to another disappointing defeat as they were comprehensively beaten 54-7 by Dudley Kingswinford, writes Sophie Freestone.

Thursday, 24th March 2016, 11:50 am
Updated Thursday, 24th March 2016, 11:52 am
Kenilworth come under further pressure at Dudley. Picture submitted

Kenilworth had the first opportunity to score points having started well, but Josh Hickman’s fourth-minute penalty attempt was just wide of the uprights.

Two minutes later, Dudley were on the score board with the opening try of the match.

The ball was cleared from a Kenilworth scrum following a Dudley knock-on, with the home side’s flanker returning it with interest, scything through and dotting down by the posts for a converted score.

The hosts doubled their lead in the 11th minute following an enterprising piece of play from Kenilworth scrum-half Alex Selby who made a superb break from inside his own half. However, his kick was pounced on by Dudley who made the most of a lucky bounce to gather possession and run in a fine counter-attacking try under the posts.

Dudley continued to put pressure on the visitors’ defence, scoring their third try straight from the restart with a move that started deep inside their own 22.

There was no mistake with the conversion and after just 13 minutes of play Dudley had accumulated a 21-point lead.

As the half progressed, both sides showed signs of promise in attack but it was once again Dudley who made the most of their opportunities, securing the bonus point after just 25 minutes, making the most of gaping holes in the Kenilworth defence following a lineout to extend their lead to 28 points.

Ks managed to keep their line intact until seven minutes into the second period, with a number of missed tackles proving their downfall as Dudley added a fifth try.

Kenilworth second-row Tom Lane was then sin-binned for interfering in the ruck, although Dudley were unable to make the most of their man advantage, squandering three opportunities to cross the whitewash from close range as Kenilworth’s defence held strong.

Winger Joe Jepps then showed a great turn of speed with an excellent solo run, only for the ball to be knocked on. He then received a yellow card for interference at the ruck to leave Kenilworth playing, briefly, with just 13 men.

With Lane back on the field, Dudley eventually did break through to score, with the conversion proving unsuccessful.

Ks finally showed what they are capable of in the closing ten minutes, with Jamie Mapletoft crossing for a consolation converted by Hickman.

Dudley responded with two converted tries of their own in the final six minutes as they moved level on points with their visitors in the Midlands One West table.