A fire at Warwick Castle which destroyed one of its historic boat houses on Friday was thought to have been caused by the attraction’s trebuchet.
Sparks from a fireball launched from the siege machine are thought to have caught the thatched roof of the building and ignited the blaze.
On Saturday a spokesman for the castle said: “We did experience a fire in our Boat House yesterday, which was safely extinguished within a short time.
“The island where the Boat House is located was not open to the public at the time and no-one was ever at any risk; nor did it affect any other part of the castle.
“We’d like to take this opportunity to thank Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service for their prompt assistance.
“Despite speculation we have not yet ascertained the cause of the fire.
“A full investigation is underway.
“The Castle will be fully open today featuring our spectacular Easter events programme.”