Flooding advice ahead of more heavy rainfall

Advice on flooding and tackling rising water levels has been released ahead of more heavy rain warnings for Warwickshire.

Tuesday, 14th June 2016, 4:57 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 7:52 pm
Flooding advice

Heavy rainfall is forecast for many parts of the county on Wednesday, with residents urged to take appropriate action over problems in their homes and out on he roads.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue are advising for everyone to take care in deep water, and to ensure they know who to contact in what circumstances.

Drivers are reminded not to drive through deep water and to find alternative routes where possible.

Much of the flooding across the county this week has been as a result of drains not being able to cope with the sheer volume of water coming down or due to blockages.

All blocked sewers should be reported to Severn Trent Water - especially if the problem concerns sewers and sewage.

A spokesperson said while they are experiencing high numbers of calls, advice is available for anyone worried about flooding, drains, gullies and sewers.

He said: “If you have flooding at your home, we’d advise that you check to see if it’s just rainwater or if it’s sewage that has come from an overflowing sewer, possibly through a manhole cover in your garden or outside your property.

Napton flood. Picture from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service 5V8JnVqfW3j9Y5TzI6qL

“If it’s just rainwater, the flooding should subside when it stops raining, although it can take up to four hours for water to drain away, so be patient.”

Contact them on 0800 783 4444 for help.

If the blockage or flooding relates to a public drain, this is the responsibility of Warwickshire County Council who can be contacted on 410410

Residents are also advised that makeshift sandbags can be made using carrier bags filled with soil or bin bags filled with old clothes to stem water coming through doorways.

Napton flood. Picture from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service 5V8JnVqfW3j9Y5TzI6qL

Updates from Severn Trent or help to report a blocked drain can be found here.

Visit the councils’ website for flood water advice.