First of several defibrillators is unveiled in Whitnash
WHITNASH’S first public access defibrillator is now available for use in emergencies thanks to the generosity of townspeople.
The PAD is sited outside Birk and Nagra Chemist in Acre Close, Heathcote Road - a location chosen for its ease of access for the community.
Whitnash mayor Cllr Adrian Barton was joined for the unveiling of the device by town clerk Jenny Mason, Leamington mayor Cllr Yvonne Moore, Warwick mayor Cllr Elizabeth Higgins, Leamington town clerk Robert Nash, Warwick District Councillors Roger Copping and Tony Heath and police and community support officers.
Donations from community groups, clubs, businesses and the public helped to pay for the device and several cheques were given to Cllr Barton to support the campaign to roll out public defibrillators throughout the town.
This was welcome news for Adrian Lewis, the founder of the non-profit organisation Defibfinder, who is leading the Heart of England Defibrillator campaign to make our towns and villages among the safest places to live in the country.
Mr Lewis has given the following advice for emergencies where someone has suffered a suspected cardiac arrest.
· Stay calm.
· Check the victim’s airways, breathing, and circulation.
· If the person has stopped breathing and you have help ask for someone to begin CPR.
· Call 999, ask for the ambulance service and give your location.
· Tell them you need an ambulance and, if a cardiac arrest is suspected, a defibrillator.
· The ambulance service will provide the location and code for the nearest defibrillator.
· Use the code to take the device out of its cabinet, open the lid, remove the pads and turn it on.
· The defibrillator will provide step-by-step instructions.
· Continue to use CPR and the device until the ambulance service arrives.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Kenilworth
Saturday 25 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 6 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North west