A Kenilworth neighbour has been praised for helping to save the life of a man who set fire to his home after falling asleep with a lit cigarette.
Fire crews were called to Framlingham Grove last Sunday after reports of smoke coming from a first floor flat.
A man in his 50s fell asleep with the cigarette still lit - a situation fire crews said could have cost him his life.
After drifting off, the cigarette fell and smouldered into a settee - setting the furniture alight and leaving the man trapped in his home.
As there were no smoke alarms in the house, it was only thanks to the efforts of a neighbour who alerted the fire brigade to the smell of smoke that the lucky resident - who has not been named- was pulled to safety in time.
Warwickshire fire service watch commander John Vale described it as a “very serious incident” while warning of the dangers to others.
“Luckily for him a neighbour smelt the smoke and raised the alarm. And on this occasion, the resident was very lucky,” he said.
“Although he was treated for smoke inhalation and burns, he still has his life thanks to the quick reaction of his neighbour.
“Unfortunately there were no working smoke alarms in the property and so he had no warning signs that there was even a fire in his home.”
The casualty was treated by fire crews and paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation. He was later taken to hospital for treatment for burns but is not believed to have sustained serious injuries.
Warwickshire fire and rescue service is now making an urgent plea for people to be aware of smoking at home and the dangers it can cause.
Warwickshire county councillor Les Caborn has reminded all smokers to ensure they put out cigarettes completely.
“Please ensure that you extinguish cigarettes completely before you go to sleep. It could mean the difference between life and death,” he said.
Free fire checks are available to book at www.warwickshire.gov.uk/homefiresafety