A Kenilworth historian has unearthed valuable information about the town’s past in his latest book.
Author Robin Leach has just published People and Places Volume 2 - his sixth book.
Mr Leach used original documentary sources and a splattering of memoirs to research the book which covers many aspects of town life through the ages.
It includes full accounts of the first 25 years of Kenilworth Carnival (including photographs of four of the six Carnival Queen floats that were horse-drawn), the story of Kenilworth’s water system, the 1913 typhoid outbreak and the conversion of two reservoirs to houses.
There are also examples of work from Kenilworth’s artists and photographers and a section on housing development in the town from the Edwardian years to the Second World War that was driven by overcrowding and slum-clearance.
Complete house-histories include ‘Thickthorn’ and ‘The Poplars’, and ‘Thornby House’ and its connection to Kenilworth’s successful mystery and thriller writers; ‘Wilton House’ and the origins and early days of the Old Folks’ Club; ‘Woodside’ and a detailed account of the Cay family and their benevolence; ‘The Hermitage’, both houses called ‘Elmdene’, and an unusual subject for any town history – the story of the library from its origin 93 years ago up to the present.
There are also a number of smaller chapters including those dealing with the Priory Road Boys’ College, the 1892 Royal visit to the castle, the oldest known Kenilworth sporting club photograph, and biographies of various townsfolk such as Henry Griffiths and Edwin Gee.
Mr Leach’s latest book is available from Kenilworth Books in Talisman Square.